As any Type-A personality would tell you, the first order of business when trying to accomplish anything is to make a plan. A detailed plan. However, my resistance to accepting my current financial situation has created a struggle between wanting to be as detailed as possible and trying to avoid thinking about it. As a result, my plan looks more general than it would be if I were on my A game.
My Plan (or at least the makings of a plan):
- Ask my aunt and uncle if PJ (my dog) and I can live with them temporarily
- Pick a date to move
- Sell everything
- Submit a notice to vacate my apartment
- Decide whether to hire movers
- Get okay with moving away from Santa Monica
I know some of these to-dos are going to be easier than others and some are outright lofty (like being okay with moving from my home). My plan is to try to detach myself from the hard stuff. The problem is, I’ve never been good at detaching. Especially if it’s something or someone I care about.
May 28, 2018
Fortunately, my aunt and uncle didn’t even hesitate when I asked them if we could move in with them. I’m not quite sure what I’d do otherwise and I am incredibly grateful that we have a place to go.
That being said, it’s also brought up a few logistical questions that I hadn’t really thought of before since they live about 35 miles from Santa Monica.
Do I change doctors? What about my workouts (aka my social life)? Etc…
While these questions may seem petty, I’m going to have to figure out this everyday stuff so I don’t feel so lost after I move.
Now that I know where I’m moving, how do I decide when?
While financially, I should move as soon as possible, there are a few things preventing me from doing so (aside from my ego and reluctance to move from a place I love).
- I have to give my landlord 30 days notice.
- I have to sell a LOT of stuff – not just the junk that I’ve accumulated over the years, but also furniture since I’ll be condensing an entire apartment into one bedroom. Oh, and did I mention that I used to work for Pottery Barn? So, you can imagine the sheer amount of home goods I have.
- One of my best friends is getting married in the middle of July and since most of the guests are from out of town, everyone is staying at a hotel a few blocks from my apartment. If I move before the wedding, I’ll have to consider the miles I’d be putting on my car driving back and forth, a dog sitter, and, possibily, a hotel room for two days.
- My sanity.
Taking everything into consideration, my target moving date is August 4th/5th.
Now, how am I going to sell all this stuff??
Interested in my money story?
Go to My Money Story: Can I Have a Do-Over to start from the beginning.