Bet you never expected cranberries in a smoothie.
That makes two of us.
No, I’m not trying to start a new superfood trend. Honestly, this smoothie was born out of the abundance of leftover cranberries from the holidays that are now crowding my freezer. But, as it turns out, this smoothie is also delicious.
So delicious, in fact, that I used all the cranberries in my freezer and then bought MORE
I realize that cranberries are the last kind of fruit that you’d expect to see in a smoothie. Usually, fruit is added to make a smoothie sweeter, but “sweet” isn’t a common adjective used to describe cranberries — unless of course, you’re talking about the sugar bomb that is dried fruit.
Which, I am not. The cranberries in this smoothie are in their raw, albeit frozen, form
Aside from not wanting to waste food, there are plenty of reasons to add cranberries to your smoothie.
Here are just a few:
However, as with anything, moderation is key. Overeating cranberries can cause an upset stomach. Another warning: for predisposed individuals, excessive consumption of cranberries may increase the risk of kidney stones. If you have a history of kidney stones, please speak with your doctor before increasing your cranberry consumption.
To summarize, please don’t fill your smoothie with 2 cups of cranberries. 1/4 cup should be just fine.Print
A tasty and refreshing smoothie with the antioxidant power of cranberries and the anti-inflammatory power of ginger. Makes the perfect on the go breakfast or midday pick me up.
- 1 c unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 avocado
- 1–2 c frozen zucchini or cauliflower, organic when possible
- 1/4 c frozen cranberries, organic when possible
- 1/4 – 1/2 inch (depending on preference) peeled ginger root, organic when possible
- 1 serving plant-based protein powder (I like vanilla)
- Optional: handful of organic spinach, chia seeds, unsweetened coconut flakes
- Add all ingredients to a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- I have only ever made this smoothie with vanilla protein powder. I highly recommend you do the same – it may be more tart without it.
- If the smoothie is too thick, add a little bit of filtered water until you reach the desired consistency.
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, dairy free, banana free, smoothie, anti-inflammatory