The Peanut Butter Mocha Protein Smoothie I made last week opened new doors for me. That usually happens. I find a new ingredient and I get obsessed with it for awhile, trying to figure out everything I can do with it. It’s led to some pretty tasty discoveries, including these coconut mocha protein balls.
This recipe and photos are extra special because my little sister G.G. helped me with them. Correction, she helped me eat them. And this was after asking, “can we eat them yet?” the entire time I was photographing them. She and my mom are in town for their spring break and I LOVE having them in town. Aside from the fact that I miss them terribly when we’re not together (they live in Michigan), it’s also nice to have humans to come home to. Usually, it’s just me and my four-legged sidekick PJ and, although I do talk to her regularly, I haven’t received a response from her yet.
Since they are in town, I am going to keep this short so I can spend as much time with them as possible. I only have two more days with them – unless I can convince them to move here. I’m really working on it.
These coconut mocha protein balls are great for breakfast or a pre-workout snack. If you’re sensitive to caffeine, I would refrain from eating them past noon. I’ve tried snacking on them before bed (completely forgetting they had caffeine) and found myself tossing and turning all night. I don’t wish that on anyone. However, when I eat them in the morning I have no problems.
Another plus to this recipe? There are only four ingredients and they are super easy to make.
One tip: put the dates in the food processor and process them into a paste before adding the other ingredients.
They should look similar to the photo above before adding the rest of the ingredients. This step isn’t required, but it makes the final product more evenly blended.
Got any other recipe ideas for mocha protein powder? Let me know. I love to experiment with new ingredients.Print
Perfect breakfast or pre-workout snack. Made with only four ingredients and minimal time commitment. Make them ahead of time and store them in the freezer for breakfast on the go.
- 1 cup tightly packed dates, pitted
- 2 single packs (84 g) Vega Sport Protein in Mocha
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, organic when possible
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed coffee, chilled
- Optional: shredded coconut, crushed walnuts or other nuts for topping
- Place dates in a food processor or high-powered blender and blend until they form a paste. If your dates are dry to begin with you can soak them in hot water for 10-15 minutes before blending them to soften.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and mix until combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop (or a spoon) to roll into balls. If the consistency is too sticky after combining, place in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to harden before making into balls.
- Roll balls in desired toppings. I used extra coconut shavings, but I’ve rolled them in crushed walnuts before and they are amazing.
- Adapted from this recipe by Deryn at Running on Real Food.