If you’ve been following me for any length of time, you know that my love of hummus is strong. But, what you may not know is that my love of avocado is even stronger.
Full disclosure: I HATED avocado when I was a kid. The texture, the taste, everything about it seemed yucky to me. Plus, it was high in fat and my 90s low-fat diet mentality kept me from experimenting with it. I was wrong – it is delicious. And, as it turns out, avocado consumption is associated with significantly lower body weight, BMI, and waist circumference1, which means it actually supports weight management.
So, imagine my excitement when I came across a hummus recipe that was made with avocado!!!
Almost like winning the lottery.
You know what else makes this recipe so special?! Its consistency. The texture of the finished hummus is airy and fluffy, almost like it’s whipped. I’m sure there is a scientific reason behind this, but I’m not a trained chef or scientist so I’m not even going to attempt to explain it. The point is, it’s good. Really good.
I know it may seem strange to add chia seeds to hummus, but they really make this recipe pop.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Looking for more hummus recipes? Here’s a few good ones:Print
An airy, light hummus recipe made with avocado, chickpeas, and chia seeds. The perfect dip for veggies, pita, or your spoon. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 15-oz. can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 2 tbsp organic tahini
- 2 tbsp organic chia seeds
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 small garlic cloves
- a pinch of cumin
- a pinch of smoked paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- optional: 2 tbsp olive oil
- Place all ingredients, except olive oil (if using), into a food processor and process until smooth.
- If adding olive oil: Once smooth, slowly add in olive oil while the food processor is running. Continue mixing for another 20-30 seconds until blended.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more if necessary.
- Top with extra olive oil and chia seeds if desired.
- Recipe adapted from Edible LA Magazine.
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, healthy, hummus, avocado
Disclaimer: Please note that some – not all – of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning that I will earn a small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. I will only link to products and companies that I personally use, trust, and have found helpful (or tasty). Thank you for supporting Diet Confessionals!