I love bananas, but sometimes you just need a banana break. The problem is that bananas are the perfect plant-based smoothie ingredient because they help make it creamy without adding dairy. As it turns out, avocado has the same effect. But what kind of smoothie can you make with avocado? This one:
Cherries are in season right now, meaning they taste great and you can typically find them at the grocery store (or even better at a farmer’s market) for a reasonable price, which makes summer the perfect time for a cherry smoothie.
Don’t let the color of this smoothie deter you, it tastes amazing.
Vanilla extract and cinnamon give this smoothie extra (and delicious) flavor and avocado makes it creamy (no, the smoothie doesn’t taste like avocado).
This smoothie is:
Try it for yourself and tell me what you think. Share in the comments and tag a photo #dietconfessionals on Instagram.
Looking for another banana-free smoothie option? Check out this Mango Mint Smoothie – it will change your life!Print
The perfect summer smoothie! A vegan, gluten-free, banana-free refreshing treat for breakfast or a snack. This smoothie is banana-free – it gets its creaminess from heart healthy avocado.
- 1 c unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 c cherries (frozen or fresh)
- 1/4 avocado
- a generous handful of kale or spinach
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2–1 tsp cinnamon (depending on personal preference)
- Optional: 1 serving vegan protein powder
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- If you are using fresh cherries and avocado (as opposed to frozen), you may want to add a few ice cubes to the blender to make it cold.
- If you use a vanilla vegan protein powder like I do, you may want to decrease the amount of vanilla extract to 1 tsp.
- Nutrition facts are for estimate only and don’t include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 14.9
- Sodium: 104.5
- Carbohydrates: 40.9
- Fiber: 12.7
- Protein: 7.1
- Cholesterol: 0